Jesus demonstrated the presence and power of God by performing miracles. He turned water into wine, healed the sick, calmed the storm, opened blind eyes, and raised the dead. While these beloved stories draw our attention to divine power, they also have something else in common: human desperation. Every time we see Jesus performing a miracle, we also get a glimpse into the gift of desperation, a gift that opens us to the dramatic power of God through our desperate need for him.
In this six-week Bible study, Jessica LaGrone leads us in a captivating exploration of the miracles of Jesus, helping us to see that our weakness is an invitation for God to work powerfully in our lives and reminding us that we need God on our best days just as much as we do on our worst.
Themes and miracle stories include:
- the gift of desperation (turning water into wine and other signs of God's response of fullness in our times of emptiness)
- the miracle of abundance (feeding the 5,000 and other abundance stories)
- miracles on the water (calming the storm, walking on water, the abundant catch)
- Jesus our healer (5 stories of healing)
- death and resurrection (Lazarus, Jairus’ daughter)
- the miracle we all receive (the Incarnation)
The Leader Guide contains six session plan outlines, complete with discussion points and questions, activities, prayers, and more—plus leader helps for facilitating a group.
Other components for the Bible study, available separately, include a Participant Workbook, DVD with six 20-25 minute sessions, and boxed Leader Kit.